1. Set specific activity times: When the whole family is available, make sure you are doing something active together. After dinner or on the weekend are great times!
2. Plan ahead and track your progress: Write activity plans together. Have a family calendar that everyone can add to.
3. Include work around the house: Involve everyone in yard work!
4. Use what is available: Plan activities that require little or no equipment. Walking, jogging, jumping rope, playing tag, and dancing are all free! :)
5. Build new skills: Enroll the kids in gymnastics, dance, or tennis. Help them practice their new skills at home.
6. Plan for all weather conditions: Choose some activities that do not depend on the weather conditions. You can walk at the mall, indoor swimming or active video games.
7.Turn off the TV: Set a rule that no one can spend longer than 2 hours per day playing games, watching TV or using the computer.
8. Start Small: Start by trying one family activity and then add more.
9. Include other families: Invite others to join your fun.
10. Treat the family with fun physical activity: When it is time to celebrate as a family do something active such as the zoo or park!